Tracfone Wireless is a mobile telecommunication company. They provide prepaid cellular network services and also sell mobile phones from different brands.
Tracfone provides its services as an MVNO (Mobile virtual network operator). They use other big wireless provider’s network towers to provide their services. They have a business agreement with the USA wireless network provider T-mobile, Verizon Wireless, Sprint, and AT&T Mobility to use their infrastructure.
The phones that they sell are locked with Tracfone services. You can’t use these phones with other network carriers unless the phones are unlocked.
Now you might have a question about what is the difference between a phone that is locked and a phone that is unlocked.
Locked phone: A locked phone is a phone that is locked with a certain network service provider. If you buy a phone from a network service provider’s store like AT&T mobility or Verizon wireless, then there is a chance that the phone is locked with their network service. You can’t use that phone with other network carriers.
Unlocked phone: Any network service can be used in an unlocked phone. You can switch between network carriers anytime by just changing the sim card. You don’t have to do anything else.
Recently the Tracfone providers had a negotiation with the FCC (Federal Communications Commission). Before, Tracfone Wireless didn’t let their customers unlock their phones. But after the negotiation, customers can unlock their phones now.
What things can I do after unlocking my phone?
- After you unlock your phone, you can switch to other networks.
- You can still use your current services after unlocking the phone. If you don’t know any TracFone plans, promo codes, and Triple minutes, etc then detailed information are here.
- If you want to have the option to use your Tracfone service and also have the opportunity to switch to other services anytime without having to buy an extra phone, you can unlock your phone.
- If you go outside of the service zone like other countries, then you can just switch the sim card and, you are good to go.
All Tracfone locked phones can’t be unlocked.
There are some requirements that need to be met to unlock your Tracfone-locked phone.
- For the lifeline users, the TracFone service must be activated after February 11, 2014.
- For the non-lifeline users, the TracFone service must be activated after February 11, 2015, or the phone have to be released on February 11, 2014, on the TracFone service.
- The locked phone has to be used for at least a year and also must have a year of airtime card redeemed.
- There can’t be any report of stolen, lost, or related to any kind of fraud on the device.
- A deployed military personnel doesn’t have to meet the activation and the airtime card redemption requirement.
- The phone needs to be still working.
- You can request for unlocking only once a year.
If all the requirements don’t meet, then don’t worry, you can get a little cash refund. You have to give the phone to Tracfone to get the cash refund. The cash amount will be different depending on the phone.
If you are a lifeline user, you can get an unlocked phone in exchange for your locked one.
But if you met all requirements then follow these steps.
The process of unlocking a TracFone.
- You can dial 1-888-442-5102 this number between ET (Eastern Time) 8 am to 11:45 PM or go to tfwunlockpolicy. Com to get an unlock code for your locked device.
- After that, turn off your phone, switch the sim card to a new one, and turn on the phone.
- It will ask for an unlock code. Sometimes it will show a notification to unlock the phone.
- Use the Unlock code that you got from them and unlock the phone.
- Now the phone is unlocked and, it will work with any network carrier.
You can still use the Tracphone service on this phone.
Tracfone has a lot of great offers. If you are a light internet user, then you can still use their services at a low cost. This service is best for old people and kids.
If you have an unlocked phone, you can also use that phone with Tracfone services.
Before, they only provided service on Tracfone locked phones. But in 2013, they started to accept unlocked phones. From then, you can register an unlocked phone using a Tracfone sim card. At first, only CDMA-supported mobile was registered later in 2015 GSM supported mobiles were also included.